Sunday, July 4, 2010

Austria


Two days before coming home, we decided to go to Salzburg, Austria. Hometown to Mozart, movie location of Sound of Music, this city is called Austria's charming capital of kitsch. We visited Schloss Mirabell (beautiful gardens, me pictured below). 
This is a street called Getreidegasse with beautiful signs hanging in front of each store. Notice the McDonalds M sign in the back. 
We went to lunch at Wilder Mann which was on this street. This was a traditional Austrian food place with a waiter wearing short puffy Austrian shorts (I almost couldn't help but laugh).
Monsieur had a Bauernschmaus
I had a Zwiebelrostbraten-it was fantastic.
And then we had not one but three desserts! Actually it was four, the forth one didn't make it on camera. 
Eispalatschinke, Kaiserschmarrn, Apfelstrudel and Nussöpala.
The first picture is the kais... a pancake crumble with a delicious jam, the second one is an Apple Streudel, so much better than the Pillsbury kind, and the last one was my pancake filled with a hazelnut paste (not at all Nutella) (and then my cousin took the same thing but with ice cream inside)(and I didn't even know I could do that).
This is what Austrian architecture looks like

Mozart chocolates were EVERYWHERE.
This is Festung Hohensalzburg, a castle dating back to 1077. It has a museum inside and the view from the top is magical. Next time, I'm visiting Vienna!

No comments:

Post a Comment