Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chez Doval

When I invited my friends to an authentic Portuguese restaurant a few nights ago, I didn't know what to expect. I was absolutely clueless about Portuguese cuisine, and being the avid food critic that I am, I Googled it, then Wikied it, then learned it by heart (my credibility in front of my friends was at risk), and learned that when in a portuguese restaurant, one shall order cod.

Out of métro Mont-Royal, I make my way thought the deserted and gloomy street Marie-Anne Est to Chez Doval. Monsieur was already inside. I enter but there's no Monsieur in sight. The place is tiny (as most Plateau hidden gastronomical treasures). Then, I learn that in the back, there's a second room, about the size of the first. The waiters have Portuguese written on their foreheads. The place is crowded. So far, I'm amused. I give my " Portugal is the most fish/ seafood eating country per capita in Europe" speech and order... shrimp. While waiting for our food, I watch three waiters freeze on the spot, mouth open, right in front of me. They stand there, lifelessly, and watch futebol on the big screen behind my back. A few feet away, a bouncy guitarist plays everything from La Bohème to This time for Africa with customers singing along and clapping.

When my grilled shrimp brochette arrives, I squeeze my lemon on top, and dive in. The house red wine is mouthwatering- not too bitter, just light enough. My friends are really enjoying their order, I try a little bit of everything and feel glorious of bringing them there. The lamb is juicy and grilled just right, the chicken well-seared and the mussels satisfy my friend's appetite. We ask for dessert, and are persuaded to  portuguese custard pastries. We go from trying one to ordering 6 more! I take a café allongé, which turns out to be one of the best coffees I had of late, and lie eyes wide open at 3 in the morning because coffee has this effect on me, and I knew what I was getting myself into all along. No regrets. I had the most fantastic night.

olives served pre-meal
fluffy big bread rolls
grilled chicken
grilled shrimp brochette
lamb chops
rice heavily drenched in oil
portuguese mussels
portuguese custard pastries
café allongé

Restaurant Chez Doval on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment